R.I.P - Former Prime Minister of Australia (1972-75) Gough Whitlam (Labor Party)… July 11 1916 - October 21 2014 (Aged 98)
Top defining moments:
- End military conscription and Australia’s involvement in the Vietnam War
- diplomatic recognition of China,
- independence for Papua New Guinea
- Got rid of University fee’s so that all members of society could go & not just elite
- Established Medicare - Free health care to all Australians
- Established department of Aboriginal affairs in 1972 giving Aborigines land rights
- Reduced voting age to 18
- Appointed First minister for women
+ so much more
Gough Whitlam truly was one of the greatest leaders Australia has ever had. You will be missed.
Palestinian Najah Abed al-Dayem, 50, holds a picture of her husband, who was killed during the most recent seven-week Israeli offensive, in Beit Lahiya town in the northern Gaza Strip on October 15, 2014. The woman lost her right eye when Israeli shelling hit the UN school where they took refuge. Her son Abed al-Dayem lost both of his legs in the same incident. (Mohammed Salem/Reuters)
Part of a longer essay I’m working on about relationships and performing personal taste.